Thursday, August 9, 2007

Preseason College Football Top Ten: Part 1

Let me explain my process. First I graded about 21 teams on my CFTT "Scientific" (ahem, cough, cough) scale. I used gradings in five areas: returners on the depth chart, QB, Skill players (offense/defense), trenches (offense/defense) and special teams. Each area had a possible 5. I tried to grade based on what each team had returning and how good they were last year. At that point I totaled the points to come up with a total score. The best was Louisville and USC with an 18. I then listed the teams from top to bottom, giving nods to teams who had the same points based on who I thought was a better pick. Next, I used that list to put together my "Durty Dozen" Finally, I started ranking my top ten using the teams in the "Durty Dozen."

Total score did not necesarily matter at this point because I used certain indicators to move teams up or down. For instance, I gave weight to teams who returned good QBs such as USC with John David Booty. I also looked at balance in what a team returns and if the new starters be upper classmen. Michigan only returned 4 on defense, but they were spread out to the point that each area of the defense had returning players and two of the new linebackers are Seniors. Hence, Michigan got more weight because they have a history of putting talented players in the remaining spots. That caused their stock to rise. Therefore, tradition and history are important. Texas was weak in the Offensive line and in the secondary, but they also have a history of having All-Americans and future Pros at those positions. Therefore, their stock rises overall. If the weakness is in Special Teams, the team may not lose points if they have a history of having talented players at those spots. Those weaknesses are not held against them as much as other teams whose programs do not have that history. Next, a coach could be the difference between two teams. A new coach has a new system, and that will cost a team a few points when compared to an existing coach or a coach with a national title. Finally, I ask myself, who do I think would win a game between these two teams right now. I am interested in ranking teams as I think they are now, not how I think they will finish.

Without further ado, here is the CollegeFootballTopTen.com Top Ten.

10. Florida-- Florida was National Champions last year for a reason last year. They were loaded. However, they only return 2 to their defense. The Gators, however, usually have some of the best atheletes in the country, and they will reload. But, they have to improve against Western Kentucky and Troy before they try to stop Erik Ainge and Tennessee on September 15. The offense, however, returns some key players. Percy Harvin was electrifying late last year after returning from injury. Andre Caldwell returns as the other WR, and he's good too. Florida has struggled to find a RB using Harvin for those yards. With Tebow at QB, the Gators will get more rushing yards from him, but, they still need to find a go-to back. The other question is, "Can Tebow get the ball to Caldwell and Harvin?" The Gator offense showed creativity last year, and I think they will get the ball into the hands of the ones who make plays. This offense may look more like Urban Meyer's last offense at Utah.

9. Tennessee-- The Vols will be in its second year with David Cutcliffe as the Offensive Coordinator. We all saw what he did in the first year. He has made Erik Ainge into one of the best QBs in the country. Tennessee has to find someone for Ainge to throw to, but they probably will. They return their top RB, both TEs and most of their OL. The defense is their biggest challenge. Tennessee has to find a way to stop the run. Might they use a different scheme? It helps to return two of their LBs. The Vols could lose their spot with early date at California (September 1).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home