Tuesday, September 11, 2007

For What it's Worth: Some Things Are More Important than Football

On a day like today (9/11), we remember that football isn't the most important thing. It was six years ago that our world changed forever. 9/11 serves as a new generation's "where were you?" question. I remember where I was, and it didn't involve football. Some things are just more important. I watched in horror as the twin towers fell while I was listening to the late Peter Jennings' coverage on ABC News. It was so surreal that Jennings didn't immediately notice that the towers were falling. I later learned news that made the events even more personal. I friend and high school classmate told me that another classmate of ours (from Pakistan no less) was in the second towers. Fortunately, he made it out of the tower before the second plane hit the tower he was in. Unfortunately, another classmate of ours sister who was just two years behind us was a flight attendant on one of the planes. I saw her name scroll on the jumbo screen during the Super Bowl halftime performance by U2 that honored the victims of 9/11.

So, we remember. The victims. The police and firefighters who rushed to the scene to try to save lives. The NY Fire Department Chaplain who paused give last rites and lost his life. To those who saved thousands of lives by taking over United Flight 93 even though it meant the loss of theirs. To the thousands of soldiers who continue to serve to keep all Americans safe. To all service personal who serve every day putting their life in harms way. To the young lady I went to high school with and her family. To the families who all perished. I wanna cry every time I see another story. God bless them all.

Todd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home